FABTECH is always an information-packed meeting for me. This year, advances in computer technology and information sharing capability was a strong theme with equipment suppliers. New types and improvements in welding consumables were also noteworthy. Welder training devices, including a couple that EWI helped to develop, were drawing crowds in several booths.
EWI engineers had a lot to share as well. Several of our Associates participated in several sessions including:
- Mike Eff, Friction Stir Welding Applications Engineer, on FSW of aluminum to steel
- Jerry Gould, Resistance and Solid State Welding Team Leader, on dissimilar materials welding
- Randy Dull, Arc Welding Principal Engineer, on welding procedure optimization
- Yu-Ping Yang, Modeling Principal Engineer, on multiphysics modeling for improving creep-fatigue life
- Nick Kapustka, Arc Welding Application Engineer, on AM-improved welding for steels and aluminum
- Tom McGaughy, Director of Technology, on the manufacturing revolution
In addition, Tom McGaughy was interviewed live from FABTECH by Manufacturing Talk Radio, and Jerry Gould was the recipient of the R.D. Thomas Memorial Award from the AWS.
I attend FABTECH are to see what’s new in the industry, attend or present at technical sessions, participate in AWS committee meetings, and to network I had many worthwhile conversations with customers, suppliers, current and former coworkers, classmates, OSU Welding Engineering alumni, professors, students. On both the personal and professional levels, it was a superb meeting.
To view the Manufacturing Talk Radio interview with Tom McGaughy, click here.