Additive manufacturing is the application of 3D printing technology in industrial production.
Though additive manufacturing (AM) has been evolving for decades, its uses beyond prototyping have only recently become fully evident.
Today, additive manufacturing (AM) is being deployed to build products and components that were never before possible – single pieces made from multiple materials with no joints and minimal post-processing.
A truly disruptive technology, AM offers novel approaches to onsite repair, reconstruction of hard-to-find or obsolete parts, material costs and waste reduction, and improved speed-to-market through streamlined production. The potential of the technology is immense, exciting, and still emerging.
EWI supports broad adoption and optimization of advanced metal 3D printing and additive manufacturing technologies throughout all industrial sectors. We take a comprehensive approach to helping our clients address their development needs and meet their implementation goals regardless of their state of AM readiness. With capabilities in all seven AM process categories identified by the ASTM, we are able to assist you at any stage – or through all stages – of the AM process:
- Set product requirements and understand trade-offs
- Select an AM process
- Modify your design for your process
- Select and qualify your feedstock
- Select process parameters and understand trade-offs
- Validate your process parameters
- If needed, identify a partner to print at scale
- Special services available for AM Process Parameter Development and Metal Powder Development
WE MANUFACTURE INNOVATION.
EWI leads the way in additive manufacturing by evaluating new processes, developing material property data, and helping our clients adopt and implement state-of-the-art technology to build their products. We’re ready to move your operation forward in AM.
Why Choose EWI for Advanced 3D Printing Technologies?
EWI has been at the forefront of AM development and process integration for more than a decade. Because the AM printing process itself is an extension of conventional joining processes, applied R&D in AM has been a natural outgrowth of our core technologies.
Our team draws from EWI’s broad expertise in welding and joining, materials science, process sensing and controls, nondestructive evaluation, modeling, structural mechanics, and automation. As a result, we’re more than just problem solvers; we offer extensive services in AM innovation:
- Material and process development
- Tooling and equipment development
- In-process sensing and monitoring
- Post-process inspection
- Material database development
The Additive Manufacturing Experts
Through our commitment to thought leadership and solving real-world technology challenges, our team enables broader adoption of additive manufacturing by developing new, critical technologies and demonstrating their value along the AM process chain. Let’s find out what additive manufacturing can do for you.
EWI operates the Additive Manufacturing Consortium (AMC), which provides thought leadership and conducts collaborative sponsored projects to solve common challenges in metal AM. The AMC has four carefully defined goals:
- Foster technical interchange by presenting timely case studies and research at quarterly meetings.
- Execute group-sponsored, pre-competitive research projects within the AMC.
- Collaborate on government funding opportunities.
- Provide a forum for discussing industrial and government road maps that define future funding.
EWI is a founding partner of the ASTM Additive Manufacturing Center of Excellence (CoE).The center bridges AM standards development with R&D to enable efficient development of standards, education and training, certification, and proficiency testing programs.
To learn more about the AMC or the ASTM AM CoE, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.