Increased demand for new, lighter, longer-lasting products is driving manufacturers across industries to incorporate newer, more advanced materials into product development. As material specifications change, so must the production development infrastructure. Whether single stage shifts or entire line changes are required, manufacturers must carry out a number of preliminary steps to ensure success.
Essential preliminary steps to inform production changes include:
- Process feasibility studies to screen ideas and technology before you invest hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars on ineffective equipment.
- In-depth iterative trials conducted with scientific methodology to overcome the inevitable hurdles in developing a technology.
- Materials development studies to determine ideal material properties for optimal manufacturing.
- Process development & optimization to increase process operating window efficiency, productivity, and cost effectiveness, enabling faster adoption by optimizing the process offline.
In addition, manufacturers need to look beyond materials, equipment, and process setup to consider long-term functionality of components and processes. The right partner can provide you with expert guidance, support, and resources to navigate these critical steps, helping you achieve your product development goals faster.
Optimizing Manufacturing and Production Processes, A Casebook of Successful Technology Development provides examples of a variety of organizations EWI has helped to adapt and optimize product development through the creation of such solutions as:
- An advanced laser welding solution to meet customer demand for more reliable welds
- A new microstructural architecture to improve crash-impact performance of seat structures
- An affordable solution for joining ever-smaller electronics components
To see more examples of industry innovators that achieved their development goals with EWI, click here.
Change without thoughtful planning can fall short of cost, efficiency, and production goals. EWI’s breadth of engineering and manufacturing experience, industry-leading technologies, and array of development services can help you identify the best solutions to achieve your development goals. Interested in learning more about how we can help you optimize manufacturing and production processes? Contact Jon Jennings at [email protected] to discuss your needs.