EWI’s laboratory contains equipment for every joining process used in electronic and medical device assembly, including ultrasonic and thermosonic bonders, micro-TIG welders, and precision resistance welders. Resistance reflow soldering equipment and controlled-atmosphere furnaces are also part of this lab. Our experience in joining technologies, metallurgy, materials science, and design provide a complete solution for developing new products or increasing the efficiency of currently used manufacturing techniques.
EWI’s core competencies in microjoining are rooted in deep and wide expertise, both in our Associates and equipment. Our microjoining group uses ultrasonic, laser, arc, and resistance welding, as well as soldering and brazing, to join small parts for the electronics and medical industry.
- Wire bonding
- Ribbon bonding
- Thermocompression bonding
- Resistance welding
- Parallel-gap welding
- Micro-TIG welding
- Laser welding
- Data collection
- Failure analysis
- In-process monitoring
- Materials science
- Design of experiments
Equipment and Lab Resources
- Ultrasonic wire bonder and metal welders from 20 to 60 kHz, 10 to 800 W
- Resistance welders from 10 A to 20 kA
- Parallel gap welding equipment to 1 kA
- Micro-TIG from 5 A to 300 A
- Furnaces to 1500⁰ C, in high-vacuum, active and inert gases, air
- Process monitoring of current, voltage, force, temperature, humidity
- Developed parallel-gap resistance welding process for welding of 56 AWG copper wire to plated copper on polyimide flex circuit, to eliminate solder in an implantable medical device.
- Designed, built, and demonstrated fixturing for resistance welding drawn filled tube without exposing core material.
- Developed resistance welding of nitinol wires to stainless steel to eliminate a crimp joint and reduce component size.
- Designed and deployed a TIG welding system for smoothing of wire ends for an ear-nose-throat surgical device.
- Developed a resistance welding process for replacement of solder joints on a communications satellite application, including mechanical and thermal shock testing.
- Currently working on in-process inspection of solder joint quality for photovoltaic solder joints.
- Evaluated several Pb-free solders for suitability in a high-reliability electrical power transmission component.