EWI’s arc welding group combines deep technical knowledge, significant industry experience, and purpose-driven innovation to empower customers across all industries by advancing the science and understanding of an array of arc-based processes.
By taking a deep dive into the nuances of these processes, our engineers effectively optimize procedures, increase productivity, improve quality, and reduce rework-often with existing equipment. For customers looking to take their manufacturing to an entirely new level, EWI can help customers modify existing processes, implement alternative processes, or innovate new processes.
With over 180 years of combined industry experience, EWI’s arc welding group boasts significant expertise in consumable and non-consumable electrode arc-welding processes ranging from high-precision reciprocating-wire-feed gas metal arc welding to ultra-high deposition rate electroslag strip cladding. Our clients benefit from these diverse skillsets through customer-sponsored projects, cooperative research programs, site evaluations, design reviews, customized training, and member inquiries. The following list provides a sample of our technical expertise.
- Parameter development and optimization
- Procedure development
- RP2Z base material qualification welding techniques
- Temper-bead welding
- Codes and standards
- Automation and mechanization
- Arc-based additive manufacturing
- Cladding and hardfacing
- Narrow-groove welding techniques
- Adaptive welding
- Pulse waveform development
- Out-of-position tandem GMAW
- Design for welding
- Process comparison and downselection
- Feasibility studies
Equipment and Lab Resources
- Gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW)
- Plasma arc welding (PAW)
- Plasma transferred arc (PTA)
- Gas metal arc welding (GMAW)
- Reciprocating wire feed GMAW
- Tandem GMAW
- Narrow-groove tandem GMAW
- Narrow-groove GTAW
- Flux-cored arc welding (FCAW)
- Shielded metal arc welding (SMAW)
- Submerged arc welding (SAW)
- Tandem SAW
- Strip cladding(submerged arc, electroslag)
- OxyFuel cutting
- Plasma cutting
- 6-axis welding robots
- Rotary positioners
Since EWI’s inception over 30 years ago, our arc welding experts have continued to innovatively bring high-impact solutions to our clients. Our high-impact projects have included:
- Applying low-heat-input reciprocating-wire-feed GMAW to components made of crack-sensitive material without the use of preheat, exceeding weld strength requirements and maintaining the integrity of the heat-input-sensitive internal fluid and components.
- Automating the repair of austenitic manganese steel trackwork components for the Federal Railroad Administration, increasing the service life of these expensive high-wear components by over 200%, and improving productivity by significantly reducing lost track time.
- Investigating the effects of welding mode, welding technique, electrode chemistry, and shielding gas on GMAW stainless steel clad layers for a fabricator of nuclear components and vessels, reducing porosity levels by two orders of magnitude, decreasing dilution, and significantly improving contact-tip wear using existing equipment and commercially available consumables.
- Determining the ideal gas metal arc brazing consumable and tensile testing technique for a Tier 1 supplier of automobile bumpers, resulting in consistently improved tensile test results, reduced test frequency requirements, and increased overall productivity.
- Identifying the root cause of tab-weld cracking during the assembly of aluminum electrical buss bars, improving GMAW procedures for increased weld ductility to nearly eliminate cracking during assembly, significant reducing rework and increasing in production rates.
- Weld Repair of Manganese Frogs for Enhanced Safety in Shared Service
- Advanced Robotic GMAW Cladding Process Development